Safeguarding in a Digital World
Why is the BHSCP providing this course?
This half day course is provided by Brighton & Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership (BHSCP) and will equip you with information and practical safeguarding guidance to help safeguard children and young people in the digital age. It will help you understand how they communicate on the internet and through apps, how offenders may exploit this and other risks, and what steps parents/carers can take to prevent online abuse and exploitation. Participants will also learn different sources of support from which they/children can seek information and advice. This course is run is association with Safety Net.
Members of staff, who work predominantly with children, young people and their families, parents or carers, and who could potentially contribute to the assessment, intervention and reviewing the safeguarding needs for a child or young person, where there are safeguarding concerns, and or potential risks.
- Consider the different ways that children & young people interact online, and appreciate the positive aspects of this digital communication as well as being aware of the risks
- Understand how offenders may use the internet to target or exploit children & young people
- Discuss the potential connection between ease of access to inappropriate material online and violent crime, including a rise in the number of young people committing serious sexual offences. Consider how we can challenge the normalisation of this behaviour online.
- Learn practical steps to protect children on the internet
- Explain security steps that can be used and their benefits and limitations, including parental settings, firewalls and privacy settings
- Identify other organisations to support children/parents around internet use
- Recognise how we can work together to support children & young people to have a positive online presence, build their resilience to face the different challenges in a digital age, and stay safe both online and off.
To book a place on our Safeguarding Training or for support or enquiries, please email BHSCP@brighton-hove.gov.uk
Training is free for Children’s Services staff, school staff, foster carers, community/voluntary sector groups, BHCC contracted organisations in Children’s Services, statutory health organisations, police and probation and all early years (including private early years) who are working in Brighton & Hove. For private organisations and those working outside the city the cost is £120.