The Safeguarding Partnership
The Brighton & Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership (BHSCP) is independently chaired and consists of three key agencies who collectively hold statutory responsibilities for keeping children and young people safe; the Local Authority (through Families, Children and Learning), Health (through NHS Integrated Care Board) and Sussex Police.
The BHSCP’s objectives are to:
- Co-ordinate local work undertaken by all agencies and individuals to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people
- Ensure the effectiveness of that work
Chris Robson, BHSCP’s independent scrutineer, chairs the Partnership and is responsible for considering how effectively the local safeguarding arrangements are working for children and families as well as for practitioners, and how well the safeguarding partners are providing strong leadership.
We have a vision that children and young people in Brighton & Hove live a life free from fear, harm, abuse, and exploitation, enabling every child in every part of the City to achieve their potential.
This is underpinned by our Core Values:
- A child centred approach: for services to be effective they should be based on a clear understanding of the needs and views of children.
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility: for services to be effective each citizen, practitioner and organisation should play their part.
- Promoting preventative and early help approaches: for outcomes to be improved there should be timely identification of a problem; the earlier the better to secure maximum impact and greatest long term sustainability.
- Always alert to transition points: for outcomes to be improved known transition points should be planned for in advance
- To work in partnership
- To commit to genuine engagement: listening to, and acting, on what our community tells us
- To be a learning partnership
- To ensure all activity is characterised by an attitude of constructive professional curiosity and challenge
- To be flexible to respond to emerging threats and risks
- To always ask ‘so what’ to ensure what we do makes a difference
Our Anti-Racist Practice Statement
- Read our Anti-Racist Statement