Toggle Contrast

Reporting Concerns

Worried about a child?

If you suspect or believe a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, including any form of mistreatment or abuse, or if you are concerned about your own behaviour and need advice or support – please contact the Front Door for Families (previously the MASH):

Front Door for Families

Tel: 01273 290400


You can also use the Online Referral Form to make a Child Protection Referral to the Front Door for Families.

If a child is in immediate danger, you should contact the police by calling 999.

Emergency/Out of Hours

To contact Children’s Services outside normal working hours, call 01273 335905.

If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the police or call an Ambulance (Call 999). The police operator will need to take your name, address and details of what has happened. This will take time, but it is important to get all of the information from you so that we can send the appropriate resources to you if necessary.

Designated Professionals in Brighton & Hove

Designated Doctor Safeguarding Children: 01273 238703
Designated Nurse Safeguarding Children: 01273 238703 / 07770 381421
Brighton & Hove Police Child Protection Team: 101 (and ask for Brighton Safeguarding Investigation Unit, SIU)

Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)

Safeguarding & Reviewing Service – Portslade Hub, Mile Oak, Portslade, BN41 2PG 


Allegations about a Colleague/Professional

If your concerns or suspicions are about a colleague or professional/carer (including volunteers), you must report them.

Talk to a Manager or Designated Professional, assuming they aren’t implicated. If they are, talk to the Front Door For Families (contact details above).

Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults

If you are concerned about an adult please contact Access Point on 01273 295555