Single Agency Training Minimum Standards
- The organisation has in place a current individual training strategy.
- All training has explicit aims and objectives outlined.
- Training is delivered in an environment which is conducive with learning and ensures all appropriate staff are given opportunity to attend.
- Training is delivered by trainers who are knowledgeable about safeguarding, child protection and promoting welfare
- At each training course, candidate information is recorded by the agency.
- Training records are kept up to date and made available to the LSCB, when required.
- Training is child focussed so that the voice of the child and the child’s welfare remain paramount.
- Training promotes the importance of understanding the child’s daily life experience.
- Training is underpinned by the values contained within Working Together 2015
- Training creates an ethos that values working collaboratively with others, respect diversity (including culture, race, religion and disability) and promotes equality and appropriate challenge
- Training equips staff for working with, communicating and sharing information with others.
- Training covers: What is child abuse and neglect, the signs and indicators of abuse and neglect, normal child development, maintaining a child focus and what to do in response to concerns.
- All training is evaluated using a standard evaluation form.
- Training is regularly reviewed and evaluated to ensure that it meets the agreed learning outcomes and has a positive impact on practice.
Single Agency Requirements for Designated School Staff
There are specific single agency courses that Designated Teachers and Headteachers must undertake on appointment. The course “Leading and Managing Safeguarding in Schools including Managing Allegations against Staff” can be booked through BEEM, and there is a refresher session available for Designated Persons every two years and Headteachers every three years. They also offer a half day train the trainer workshop to support school staff to share their knowledge of local Child Protection and safeguarding with their colleagues. You can download the Safeguarding Training Recommendation here and for more information please contact email@example.com.
There is a statutory requirement for these staff to undertake these BHSCP multi-agency core safeguarding sessions as soon as practical after appointment:
There is no need to repeat these courses. When you need to update your multi-agency safeguarding training, please book one of the more specialised sessions to enhance your knowledge.
If you have any questions about the training requirements for schools please contact the Education Safeguarding Officer: Gill.Hibbert@brighton-hove.gov.uk
Community and Voluntary Sector
If you work with children and young people in a local community group or organisation you need to make sure that you have the following things in place for staff, volunteers and trustees:
- Safeguarding and Child Protection training (refreshed every 2 years)
- DBS (formerly CRB) checks;
- Safeguarding Policies and Procedures.
Safety Net is a local children’s safeguarding charity who provide information, support and training for local community groups. Their low cost course include: safeguarding and child protection, developing your policies and designated safeguarding lead as well as other related courses. Check the website for up to date details.
Safety Net is also a registered body for Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks. For more information contact Safety Net; 01273 411613, Training@safety-net.org.uk.
It is important that your safeguarding arrangements are up to date and robust, to ensure that the children, young people and families you work with are fully safeguarded. The charity commission also requires this from registered charities and grant funders will also want to be assured that your organisation is safe.
Useful Links and Resources
The National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) has produced a range of safeguarding resources for community organisations, which you can find here.