Conferences & Core Groups
Why is the BHSCP providing this course?
This is the third installment of our core courses which explores how agencies across the city work together to keep children safe through the Child Protection Conference, and Core Group processes. This includes a presentation by the Youth Advocacy Project which works with children & young people to ensure that their voice is taken into consideration. This course has recently been reviewed and updated by the CPRO (Child Protection Review Officers), in line with their restructured service. It will help you understand the aims, purpose and process of a Child Protection Conference and Core Group and to become a more effective participant in that process
Members of staff, who work predominantly with children, young people and their families, parents or carers, and who could potentially contribute to the assessment, intervention and reviewing the safeguarding needs for a child or young person, where there are safeguarding concerns, and or potential risks. Please note that you must complete Developing a Core Understanding, and Assessment, Referral & Investigation, before taking this course.
- To gain understanding of the aims, purpose and process of child protection conferences and core groups.
- To develop an awareness of one’s own and other agencies roles and responsibilities in the child protection process.
- To develop practice in preparation and presentation in the ‘child protection conference’ and ‘core group’ setting.
- To develop an understanding of the relevance of the ‘core group’ in implementing the child protection plan.
- To develop understanding of the risk and protective factors which determine whether a CP or CIN Plan is needed.
To book a place on our Safeguarding Training or for support or enquiries, please email BHSCP@brighton-hove.gov.uk
Training is free for Children’s Services staff, school staff, foster carers, community/voluntary sector groups, BHCC contracted organisations in Children’s Services, statutory health organisations, police and probation and all early years (including private early years) who are working in Brighton & Hove. For private organisations and those working outside the city the cost is £120.