BHSCP Steering Group
The BHSCP is chaired by the Independent Scrutineer and attended by the nominated officers for the three lead safeguarding partners (Brighton & Hove City Council, Brighton & Hove CCG, and Sussex Police), a representative from the Community Safety Partnership, and a professional to represent schools and early years. The chairs of each subgroup also attend.
The Steering Group meets quarterly and its purpose is to set and drive the implementation of the BHSCP business plan and strategy. The Steering Group also plays a key role in overseeing the progress against the work plans of each subgroup to ensure consistency and a joined up approach across the BHSCP.
To support the Steering group in its work, it is provided with data and intelligence so all members are fully appraised of the effectiveness of the help, including early help, which is being provided to children and their families in Brighton & Hove.
This group is also responsible for the following:
- Analysis of multi-agency statistics, performance measures and outcomes
- Scrutiny of reports
- Section 11 self-assessments and challenge events
- Practitioner and partnership challenge events
- Oversight of Child Safeguarding Practice Reviews (CSPRs)
- Developing & overseeing the overarching strategic aims of the BHSCP
- Setting safeguarding priorities for the BHSCP
- Financial planning and resourcing of the safeguarding arrangements
- Agreeing the Annual Report for publication
- Consideration of joint commissioning
- Oversight of safeguarding work completed by local partners through the Board
- Appointment of an independent scrutineer
- Consideration of opportunities for working in collaboration with other geographical areas to reduce cost and improve performance
- Overseeing preparation and action plans related to Joint Targeted Area Inspections (JTAI)
Pan-Sussex Strategic Leadership Group
The safeguarding partners from all three areas (West Sussex, East Sussex, and Brighton & Hove) also oversee the strategic governance of joint safeguarding arrangements across the threee areas in a Pan-Sussex Strategic Leadership Group. This group sets the ‘road map’ for how to develop the partnership in the future, and the local Steering Group feeds into this group.